Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Treatment procedures for sleep apnea

Not all cases of sleep apnea require surgery. There are many treatment procedures for sleep apnea to help control sleep apnea and snoring.
  • cpap machines are often recommended for sleep apnea patients. Air is forced through a hose into a face mask making sure that the patient receives continous oxygen. When you go to a sleep center over night evaluation you might be fitted with a cpap the last half of the evening so a setting on the machine can be determined. As I have stated in a previous post I am no fan of cpap machines. It just didn't work for me. But from what I have read there are many that have found relief with them after an adjustment period.
  • bipap machine is similiar to the cpap but the air moving through the hose to the mask is adjusted for your breathing. Unlike the constant air pressure of a cpap a bipap changes air pressure as you inhale and exhale. Once again I have tried the bipap with no success.
  • Oral appliances is something that I haven't tried. The mouth piece is supposed to keep your mouth open enough to make sure there is no blockage. This is more effective with mild sleep apnea.
Feel free to comment and please subscribe to my RSS Feed
thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment