Friday, April 17, 2009

one UPPP experience

I've never had any luck with the cpap. I don't know if I didn't give it a long enough time to work or whatever. Recently I have considered the Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty (UPPP) surgery.

On Facebook I received this reply from Andrew about his experiences with the surgery and the CPAP. Now I not so sure about the surgery.

"there is something to be said for the CPAP. I was in my late 20's when I tried it and failed. I chose the surgery and had about three weeks of torture with my throat. When that healed I went from a loud snore to a wheeze and that irritated my wife even more....needless to say the surgery did not work. What I was not told was your tissue in your throat that they remove will scar up and build back scare tissue restricting your air way just like pre surgery. 13 years later I am worse with scare tissue and having to force myself to use the CPAP with varying results. I do not have a good answer but would say avoid the surgery, the mouthpieces that dentist make do not treat the apnea problem only help silence part of the snoring. The best thing I have found is CPAP and many people swear by it...but I am still getting attached to it. Andrew"

Feel free to comment and please subscribe to my RSS feed
thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment