Sunday, April 5, 2009

Sleep apnea and gasping for air

I have read on sleep apnea forums that many people with sleep apnea also gasp for air during the day. Not a lot of time but a few times a day. I find myself doing this also. It sounds like a burst of air is coming out of my mouth as if I was trying to hold my breath. Some people suggest that it has something to do with acid reflux but I usually only get acid reflux when I am in bed. It is also suggested that food goes down the windpipe instead of the esophagus.

It might also be laryngospasm, which is a spasm in your vocal cords. But that usually lasts for 30 to 60 seconds; my attacks only last a few seconds so I don’t think that is it.

It could also be related to an anxiety attack which makes sense. I know that when I have had anxiety attacks I struggled at times to catch my breath.

As always it is best to consult a doctor if you have sleep apnea or any other breathing disorder.

Feel free to comment and please subscribe to my RSS Feed
thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment