Friday, September 25, 2009

Sleep apnea and bad weather

This past week the weather here in the Atlanta area has been horrendous. In the part of the metro Atlanta area that I live in had over 20 inches of rain in the past 7 days. Luckily we were spared any flooding damage. But the weather did make my meniere’s disease and my sleep apnea worse.

Sleeping with sleep apnea is always difficult but for some reason it is particularly hard when the weather is bad. I had to do a little research to find out why. It seems that the atmospheric pressure has some effect on OSA patients. Whereas altitude changes have more effects on central apnea patients. My source for this information is MedPageToday.com. Although they found a connection between sleep apnea and weather changes they are not exactly sure why it occurs.

I think a lot of my problems this week were due to the sound of thunder and the amount of stress I had worrying about the house being flooded. But everything seems to be okay now; of course I still have the sleep apnea.

I still intent to go through with another sleep study sometime this fall. My mouth is almost healed from having a wisdom tooth extracted, so I will probably set up an appointment pretty soon.

Feel free to comment and please subscribe to my RSS Feed
Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment