Sunday, November 1, 2009

Odd sleeping patterns and sleep apnea

My mother is 88 years old and she always talks about how little sleep she needs. She can go to bed late and wake up early every day. I tell her that I also go to bed late and wake up constantly all night because of the sleep apnea.

Another strange thing about my mother’s sleeping habits is to this day she still doesn’t take naps in the afternoon. No matter how tired she is, she just can’t seem to lie down and rest. Even though she is overweight she doesn’t have sleep apnea or any other sleep disorder that I know of. As a matter of fact she never complains of not having enough rest which is strange considering how little sleep she gets. I can understand her getting up early because she grew up on a farm and folks on farms get up very early. But they also go to bed early.

I didn’t grow up on a farm but I always got up early growing up. Even though I didn’t have sleep apnea as a kid it seems like I was always tired and a good night’s sleep was hard for me to get. If I went to bed too early, I wouldn’t fall asleep and if I went too late I would be dead tired in the morning. So sleep has always been a problem for me.

As far as naps go for me, I could take a nap almost anytime. In fact, the sleep that I get from a nap seems to be some of the best rest that I get, which is strange considering that I still have sleep apnea when I take a nap.

I really have to wonder some times if I got my sleep apnea under control would I be able to get enough rest that I need or are there other sleep disorders that are being hidden by my sleep apnea.

Feel free to comment and please subscribe to my RSS Feed
Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment