Sunday, November 29, 2009

Undiagnosed sleep apnea

It is hard to believe in this age of instant information, where all the health issues seem to be just a few clicks away, that some people haven’t heard of OSA and what is worst they may even have undiagnosed sleep apnea.


As I have written in past posts I have had sleep apnea for years. My wife complained about my snoring and I tried sleeping on my side, sleeping on my stomach, I put those bandage like things on my nose but nothing stopped my snoring.

A friend of mine went to have a sleep study done and he told me that he had sleep apnea, which was something that I had never heard about before. I did a little research on what sleep apnea was and what you could do about it. I made an doctor’s appointment and he set me up for a sleep study. Like so many people I was diagnosed with sleep apnea.

At that time I also realized that my father had sleep apnea. He wasn’t diagnosed with it. He also had heart disease. As I wrote in my last post the study of sleep apnea barely had begun when my father had died.

I truly wish that there was more attention given to this terrible and life threatening disorder. But even today there seems to be little information about it. Many people think that sleep apnea only occurs to those who are overweight and that simply isn’t true. Although being overweight is common in sleep apnea patients, you can also be thin and have it too. And of course there is central sleep apnea which has nothing to do the blockage of the airway in the throat. It too can be deadly.

Feel free to comment and please subscribe to my RSS Feed
thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment