Thursday, December 3, 2009

Sleep apnea and swallowing

When I was a kid I had the worst time swallowing pills. My parents couldn’t understand why I just couldn’t swallow one small pill without me acting like it was choking me. It seems to all make sense now knowing that there is a connection between sleep apnea and swallowing.


Even today I find it very difficult to swallow pills, especially the large capsules; it is for the same reason that my airway gets blocked at night. I have an enlarged tongue that blocks the back of my throat. The first doctor that I saw for my sleep apnea was amazed that I could get any sleep at all with that much blockage in my throat.

But it didn’t seem to bother my sleeping when I was young. I got plenty of rest at least that is what I remember. Of course as I have posted before I use to sleep on my stomach till I had that problem with my back. Since then I mostly sleep on my back and occasionally on my side.

The surgery that would alleviate my sleep apnea and presumably my swallowing problem would be the Maxillomandibular advancement surgery where the jaw is moved forward. At some point I may consider having it done but not right now.

Feel free to comment and please subscribe to my RSS Feed
thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment