- The first stage is between wakefulness and light sleep. It lasts only a few minutes.
- The heart rate slows and body temperature lowers during the second stage. Brain waves known as sleep spindles begin to occur.
- The third stage is where light sleep becomes deep sleep. The brain waves become deep and slow at this stage.
- Stage 4 is a deep sleep that only lasts for 30 minutes. The brain waves are very deep and slow.
- REM is stage five. In this stage dreams occur. The brain activity is increased and the body’s muscles are relaxed. Breathing becomes shallow and deep. There is rapid eye movement. This is the stage that Sleep Apnea patients never get to.
Feel free to comment and please subscribe to my RSS Feed