Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Sleep apnea and prostate problems

I am over fifty years old so I try to get a physical every year. Of course the part that I dread is having my prostate checked. I especially needed it checked because I was getting up in the middle of night to go to the bathroom 3 or 4 times each evening. If you combine that with waking up constantly with sleep apnea, it all gets rather annoying.

In a previous post I wrote about something called Nocturia, which is when you wake up to urinate. I really thought that was what I had because of the many times that I go to the bathroom at night. Another reason was it is associated with sleep apnea, which I have.

Just for clarification Enuresis is the term for bedwetting.


I talked to my doctor about it and he checked my prostate and it had gotten bigger. This really isn’t surprising because after 40 most men’s prostates get larger and it is really common for men over 60. For more information go to emedicinehealth.com.

The Doctor also did blood work to make sure there wasn’t any cancer and there wasn’t. He put me on a medication to see if that would help eliminate the trips to the bathroom during the night. I hope so.

Feel free to comment and please subscribe to my RSS Feed

Thanks

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for discussing.Most men are hit with the prostate problem.But they shy away from discussing the problem or even going to the physician.

    ReplyDelete