Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Sleep apnea and sleeping on your side

Do you sleep on your back or stomach or on your side? If you have sleep apnea and you use a cpap I know you don’t sleep on your stomach. Does it matter in what position you sleep? Actually it does, especially if you suffer from sleep apnea.


Growing up I always slept on my stomach, I don’t know why but that was the most comfortable way for me to get to sleep. Then in my late twenties I suffered a back injury where one of my discs was flattened out. Luckily I was given a shot that blocked the nerve in my back that was causing me such grief. That was also the end of my sleeping on my stomach because that sleeping position isn’t the best for back problems. From that point onward I sleep flat on my back.

Not long after that my wife noticed that my snoring got a lot worse. I also noticed that I wasn’t getting very much rest due to sleep apnea. As I have written in past posts I went through the cpap and bipap with no luck. But I have found a little relief lately by sleeping on my side with my head elevated with a wedge pillow. It hasn’t cured my sleep apnea but I definitely see a different.

Of course I probably will someday give the cpap machine another try. Right now isn’t good for me because of some other medical problems.

Feel free to comment and please subscribe to my RSS Feed

Thanks

1 comment: