Wednesday, April 14, 2010

sleep apnea and memory

Are you having problems with your memory? No matter how hard you try there are times when your mind draws a blank and you just can’t remember something that you know but you just can’t recall. It may not be a coincidence that you have trouble remembering things and that you are a sleep apnea sufferer.


Just the other day at work I booted up my pc and went to type my password and forgot it, the same password that I had for quite a while. I tried and tried but I just couldn’t remember. Needless to say I was embarrassed. My age (52) shouldn’t have anything to do with it. There must be some reason and it has to be the lack of sleep that I get.

As many of you know sleep apnea has an adverse effect on the brain. The lack of oxygen that the brain receives at night can cause the death of brain cells which in effect causes memory loss. This is similar to the brain loss that occurs with alcoholism and Alzheimer’s according to this UCLA Study. One possible solution is taking Vitamin B1 supplements but there haven’t been any studies to back that up.

As always feel free to comment and please subscribe to my RSS Feed

Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment