Sunday, April 4, 2010

Sleep apnea and work

Getting up early in the morning to go to work isn’t the most enjoyable thing in the world. Actually the going to work part might not be the worse, it’s the getting up early in the morning is the tough part. No matter how early you go to bed you feel like you could always sleep a little longer. Now if you have sleep apnea you probably feel like you could sleep through the whole day.


In my own particular case it really doesn’t seem to matter how early I go to bed. I will still feel tired in the morning. And when I get to work I’m tired and half way through the day I’m tired and at the end of the day I’m exhausted. Like most people I rely on caffeine to keep my awake and semi-alert. I work in an office so I am not physically tired at the end of the day, but mentally I’m tired. To me it seems that the sleep apnea and the lack of REM time that you receive affect your cognitive skills and your alertness more than anything.


The strange part of it all is at night I usually have a hard time falling asleep. I don’t know if that is due to the caffeine or the fact that I have tried so hard to keep awake all day, that at night it’s difficult to relax and try to sleep. Of course with sleep apnea you don’t sleep long before you wake up.

I would love to read any comments and please subscribe to my RSS Feed

Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment