Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Are dental devices as effective as CPAPs?

If you have sleep apnea then you probably searched out every possible remedy imaginable. From mouth exercises to playing the didgeridoo to more traditional cures such as surgery and the CPAP machine. It is a lot to consider because some things work for some folks and others don’t. Surgery, at least some surgery, can take a long time to recover from and may only have a small chance at working. The usual fix for sleep apnea is the CPAP machine, which also has issues for many sleep apnea sufferers, such as not being able to get used to the mask and the air blowing down your airway. Another option would be dental devices, but from what I have read in the past their success has only been minimal. A new study is suggesting that may not be true.




According to a press release from the website ihatecpap.com “CPAP can no longer be considered the "Gold Standard" of treatment for mild to moderate sleep apnea. There is a rapidly changing dynamic in the field of sleep medicine. It should be noted that CPAP and Oral Appliances are equal with "careful titration". It remains to be seen if home sleep studies can meet the "careful titration" standard.”



Unfortunately in my own case my sleep apnea is severe so it probably wouldn’t work for me which is bad because I never was able to adjust to the CPAP mask. The last doctor that I saw suggested that surgery might be my only option.



Feel free to comment and please subscribe to my RSS Feed

Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment