Monday, June 29, 2009

Apap and sleep apnea

As I have mentioned before I have tried both the cpap and the bipap with very little success. Recently I was looking at a sleep forum and there was a mention of an APAP machine.

An APAP, Automatic Positive Airway Pressure, titrates the pressure that is given to the sleep apnea patient on a breath to breath basis, this is a big improvement over the cpap that blows air continuously regardless of whether you need it or not.

The bipap provides 2 levels of pressure in the hose, one coming in and the other coming out. When I tried the bipap there didn’t seem to be much difference between it and the cpap.

So the apap makes adjustments on the fly. This would be great because you don’t feel the same level of being tired every night. If you were sick or worked longer hours or you were stressed out, you might be more tired than usual. With a cpap machine the air is going to blow in the hose the same as it does every night (unless you adjust it every night). But with an apap, the machine can tell by your breathing how to set the air pressure.

This sounds like a major improvement.

I don’t know for sure but I can imagine that it is more expensive than the cpap and as far as insurance goes, you always have to check with them.

Feel Free to comment and please subscribe to my RSS Feed
thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment