Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Sleep apnea and pillow adjusting

For a few months I have been using a wedge pillow at night. I had read that it would help (some, maybe a little) sleep apnea patients keep their airway open. At first it seemed to help because I don’t think that my airway was blocked as much, of course it could have been wishful thinking on my part. It certainly helped my acid reflux; I can’t remember the last bad attack at night where I woke up feeling nauseated. But now I am not so sure that I am going to continue with the wedge pillow. It might be time to make another pillow adjustment.




I have always used a soft pillow to sleep with usually 2 of them would be comfortable. When I first got the wedge pillow I noticed that it seemed too firm making it a little uncomfortable to sleep on so I put a small pillow on top of it. I tried that for a while but it bent my neck into an uncomfortable position pushing my head so forward that my chin almost rested on my chest. Not only did that strain my neck it wasn’t good for opening up my airway, so I took the pillow off. I though after a few months the wedge pillow would soften up a little but it really hasn’t. It still feels as though my head is lying on a board!

Now what, I am going back to using 2 pillows for a while till I can find an alternative to the wedge pillow or a softer one.



Feel free to comment and please subscribe to my RSS Feed

Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment