Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Cleaning the CPAP Mask and machine

A few weeks ago I wrote about how folks with allergies can have a problem with the CPAP mask. One of the ways to deal with this is cleaning your CPAP mask and machine regularly. I received a very informative comment on how to do this.




Here is the comment…

Anonymous said...


I've been a CPAP user, actually APAP which is much better, for about 4 years now and I wish I had it when I was a child as I probably wouldn't have fallen asleep in class so frequently or had been so lethargic and apathetic.


You're right about having to keep the equipment clean but cleaning is simple and takes maybe 15 minutes a week. A quick search can provide numerous cleaning techniques, none much better than pre-washing the equipment, humidifier, hose and mask with non-lotion based soap and then disinfecting the equipment with a 5 minute soaking in a 50/50 solution of white vinegar and water. Let the parts air dry and then wash your hands before re-assembly.


The side effects of not cleaning the equipment vary in the individual with common complaints of minor sinus issues, headaches, sore throat, fatigue, light headedness, basically all the things you'd expect from a non-working CPAP machine and the return of apnea.






Great information!



Feel free to comment and please subscribe to my RSS Feed

Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment