Sunday, September 25, 2011

Are you worried about dying from sleep apnea?

It seems like there are a million things to worry about in life from health to family to making a living all this stuff constantly gives you reasons for concern (and headaches!). Health matters whether they involve your family or you are right up there at the top of the list. One of my concerns is the amount of rest that I get or don’t get each night. As you probably already know sleep apnea has been a thorn in my side for many years. In fact I can’t remember when I wasn’t affected by it, maybe it wasn’t a problem when I was a kid or a teenager but I can’t say for sure. Sleep apnea can be a precursor of many ailments like diabetes, depression, gout and the biggest concern is what it does to your heart. As we all know heart problems can lead to the most unfortunate conclusion, which is unexpected death. Are you worried about dying from sleep apnea?
This question is relevant to me because my father who suffered from sleep apnea died of heart troubles at the age of 61 in 1977. Of course at that time little was said about sleep apnea and he certainly hadn’t heard about it. But I remember hearing his grunting snoring like he was gasping for air (it was very loud) and add the fact that he didn’t seem to have much energy during the day, I can only imagine that it was sleep apnea. He had at least 5 heart attacks with the last one being fatal. Whether it was all due to his sleep apnea I can’t say for sure. He was on a strict diet after the first heart attack and he didn’t drink or smoke so I think that the sleep apnea had something to do with it.
If you do a search on the web about sleep apnea and heart disease you will see that a lot of doctors believe that sleep apnea can definitely be a contributing factor in getting a heart attack. So you should be concerned about dying from heart disease especially if you have sleep apnea. But worrying really won’t help your condition, the best thing that you can do is see your doctor about what your options are for eliminating your sleep apnea or at least curtailing it. Heart disease is also caused by many other factors such as lack of exercise and eating the wrong foods. A healthy life style will help combat heart disease as well as sleep apnea.
Feel free to comment and please subscribe to my RSS Feed
Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment